Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Internet Safely Update

This internet safely assignment, now that I'v finally had time to work on it, it actually quite interesting. My friends all tell me that I have very maternal instincts...which is true, I guess - I feel very protective of anyone and everyone around me, and I want to take care of them. So when I was reading about internet safety on several different websites, most of the stuff seemed like common sense to me; but the one thing that really stuck out to me was that parents should talk with their children. I guess it makes sense - since it's important to talk to your children about many different subjects (especially with the way our world is going lately), it is equally important to talk to your children about internet safety.
I was talking with my cousin about this, and she, having two little girls of her own, is concerned about this for them. As they grow up, she wants them to be safe in all aspects, and be able to have a good life.

I was also able to read a few talks about what the apostles have to say about this. I thought it was interesting how they talked about the importance of using the internet for good, because that it where most people are turning for answers. They encourage people to have blogs and to use them to promote the Church, and the ideals and the values that the Church stands for. One woman that they quoted told a story about how she had blogged about one April general conference that she had listened to, and her friends had read her blog, and were quite interested and had many questions about what else the apostles and prophets of time had said. The Church has really been working hard to use the internet for good; for example, they are working on the new www.mormon.org website, and they are asking members to create a profile for themselves where they can show that they are regular people, like the people who will look at these profiles, and the members will provide answers to questions that many people around the world have. Here's the link, if your interested:

http://www.mormon.org/mormonorg/eng/new-mormon-org

No comments:

Post a Comment